Saturday, 16 February 2013

Claw and Ball Foot Table




I picked this table up and yes, of course I checked I wasn't about to refurb a priceless bit of Chippendale furniture... it's old repro.


In fact, it's al lovely piece of mahogany wood with fine leg detail and claw and ball foot. VERY brown, scratched and chipped from a lifetime of use.



I spent some time thinking about this piece... what colour to paint it?  How to bring out the detail?  I eventually decided to use Duck Egg Blue paint and mixed 50/50 with Old White because I wanted to achieve a lighter shade.


I painted on one coat, then filled and sanded the surface of the table. 




Then after the final coat I waxed with clear wax and went to work with a little bit of dark wax to bring out the detail...


The table is polished to a soft sheen, the ball and claw feet are lovely and so unusual...  No shabbying up this piece other than use of dark wax.